Sunday, April 22, 2007

Metrodome Individual Time Trial 2007




The first event of the year is always one filled with a lot of excitement. Before the event your mind is filled with question, “how strong am I this year?” A question that will only be answered by this race. This is not just any race, it is not just a question of tactic and speed, it is a Time Trial. A time trail is the true test of a bodies form, endurance, strength, and most of all individual will.
I arrive at the Metrodome, a site that on my third visit has become familiar to me. After my equipment has been put together I lace up my skates. After a short warm up I stand at the line listening to the count down. After five counts my legs accelerate at a steady pace. The first lap will tell me a lot and it does as it clicks off at 62 seconds. I don’t feel like I’m pushing too hard and the belief that this is a pace that I can hold fills me with excitement. The first 12 minutes go by fast as my watch keeps me in check with continual splits being busted out in the 62 to 63 second range. The original goal was to maintain 65 second laps which was now a distant thought. My closest competition Tom and Kara Peterson were running, at this time, about 65 second laps. I felt good at this point with the knowledge that this race was mine and my only competition would be the clock and the pain inflicted from the continual exertion assisted by absolutely no rest, not even a second.
The race neared the half way mark and to my surprise the Peterson duet showed their long distance strength and good utilization of the draft as they started to clock some fast times at 63 seconds. At this point my splits were waning clocking 64 and 65 second laps. This pushed me to drive harder and every push was given more power than I thought I had stamina for. Though I knew that I had to conquer the thoughts that fatigue were putting into my head.
The fifty minute mark came and it was time to make my mandatory water stop. I skated hard stopping in a manner more traditional than previous years. In the past I would skate real hard up to the water stop and at the last second sit on my butt and slide along the smooth concrete wasting no time at all. Though this time the announcer warned me not to do this and so in 16 seconds I skated in drank 2 cups of water and accelerated out. Now it was go time. The announcer’s voice echoed down the concrete corridors the impressive splits of the Peterson duet. “…And Peterson goes 1 minute and 4 seconds and Starykowicz is now crossing the line…” My legs ached, the crowd cheered, the air howled past my ears, but I could still just barely make out the announcers voice, “and his time is 1 minute 3 seconds.” I hammered out the last 20 laps denying notions of pain and fatigue. The last three laps I pushed with a power justifying the 4 months of training before this race. The final time for my solo completion of 26.2 miles was 1 hour 15 minutes and 37 seconds. Fifty four seconds later Tom Peterson crossed the line followed 9 seconds later by Kara Peterson. The question had now been answered and with a three-peat victory

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home