Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Great Race Crit




Picture Provided by Peter Doucet





Elkhart Great Race 10k Criterium(Check out the video coming soon)

So there I was talking to everybody when over the loud speaker I hear. “There will be no rec race. Everybody will start together in ten minutes.” I have to change all of my bearings and bolt on my strap ratchet. 10 minutes later I was at the line tieing my laces when the gun went off. With my strap not even tightened I sprint off. Doucet pushed the pace hard and I skated from the back to the pack to third position in a very uneasy first lap. It raining very lightly and the course was soaked. Most of the asphalt was of a very slippery nature. I finally Strapped my skates then got ready for it to get tough. Anderson throws in a strong effort and I latch on to the draft. This race is too short for anyone to be breaking away. Then the relentless attacks came to by doucet. The pack quickly desintigrated until there was only Helen Havam, Herb Gayle, Mike Anderson, Michelle Busby, Peter Doucet, and me. The attacks came again and I remember flying down the front stretch when I here a retched scraping sound echo of the Loud speaker followed by the announcer, “Busby takes a tumble.” Not hard to believe, it was very easy to fall victim to the slippery surface but the speed made it almost impossible not to fall. It got to the point where it was just me and Doucet on every attack. In between the attacks Anderson and Herb Gayle would bearly latch on only to be dropped on the next surge. Doucet was trying tire me out and it was working. Then it came to the last lap in a half. Anderson gets on the back. I expected him to pull hard so that Herb Gayle would not rejoin the group so that he would be assured 3rd place. Anderson did not pull and the game began. At a slow pace we rolled sprawled across the street waiting for someone to make a move. Slow enough to allow Helen Havam and Herb Gayle to rejoin the group. On the front stretch Helen makes a move and skates away from the pack. No one reacts. Finally Doucet takes the lead out position and we slowly follow. The pace was fairly easy and I sat on Doucet contemplating when I would make the move. Mike Anderson and Herb Gayle were both in the draft waiting for the sprint. In the short chute between turn 3 and 4 we passed a fatigued Havam. Then the grippy asphalt of turn four came. I waited for the attack but it was delayed. Then Doucet arms dropped and he quickly accelerated but I was still on his tail. I made my move on the leftand started my fall out sprint at which point I clipped skates with Doucet. Doucet and I both tripped up but only for a moment. Both of us had the bit between the teeth and were sprinting so hard that it is unbelievable we both did not slip to the ground. And then just that happened, The length of the sprint started to sieze the muscles and good form became hard to achieve and then I slipped. At the point I had a two foot lead. I thaught right there and then that I had lost it. Though I kept on pushing and all of a sudden as we races dead even I through the hawk and watch as my foot crossed just inches ahead of Doucet. Herb Gayle took third and Anderson close behind. This was a very exciting race for me and I really respect Doucet as an athlete and I had a great time chasing him. The Great Race is one of the best skating events out there.
Men 10k1- Peter Starykowicz (TUSA/Rainbo)


2- Peter Doucet


3- Herb Gayle (Team Aloe Up)


4- Mike Anderson (Bont)5- Bobby Piedra (Bont)


Women 10k


1- Helen Havam(Bont)


2- Rebecca George


3- Mechele Bubsy(Bont)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home